Thursday 30 June 2016

Nice to Meet You Nubia Mayanna Adams • Dare to DREAM Interview

 

"My dream in life is to inspire people to learn their true selves, beyond the surface outside of the world and others. To live freely, with minimal desires, to be comfortable, balanced, and aligned in all aspects. To live a life full of unconditional love, to cleanse and refine my mind, body , spirit so that I am able to live to my fullest potential. Peace & freedom, eternally. That's my dream."

- Nubia Mayanna Adams 
Greenville, SC


T H E   I N T E R V I E W • 
  Health and Lifestyle Edition
________________________
________________________



If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why?

Considering that it's a movie based on me & my life, I would say my journals would personify me the best. They feature every step in my growth and spiritual journey. I feel like they know and innerstand every aspect that is me and would best capture my essence. 





Tell us two things that make you smile.

1) A thunderstorm paired with a glass of Merlot and Love Jones.
2) To go out, dance freely in a room full of people & disappear into myself.



What do you love about yourself?

The way that I am able to turn my pain into flowers. My paradoxical nature ―although it over-complicates things at times, it makes the journey to my heart more intricate.




What is your to-go herb?

When I'm cooking I'm always reaching for basil, parsley, and cilantro but for my tea my go-to is always mint. 




What is the first thing you grab when you have a cold?

Apple cider vinegar with the mother usually knocks it out, but if not I make a combination of fresh minced garlic, cayenne pepper, thyme, ginger, honey, and ACV in warm water and drink it a couple times a day. Ginger tea with honey and warm almond milk with cinnamon are both delicious to drink before bed.



Name two people who influenced your journey thus far 


I am going to give the anticipated Erykah Badu answer, but she has continued to inspire me to embrace my unapologetically Afrikan, free-spirited, natural born otherness that I always thought was a burden. She acted as the catalyst for black girls in this era to accept and explore their metaphysical beings & still keep it trill. 

Nina Simone's story behind the music has also influenced me and allowed me to accept that sometimes the things you love in life can be a burden and a joy simultaneously and that is okay. Every message she conveyed in her music and in her life was full of emotion, raw, pure & unsympathetic. She reminds me of myself in so many ways and has showed me the importance of being honest, even in the midst of your own trouble. 



What have you been reading lately?
The Prisoner's Wife by Asha Bandele and Communion by bell hooks.




What are the three destinations of your dreams?

-To be part of a community of doulas & midwives who educate women and offer affordable birthing services and Montessori-style education/childcare in under-served communities. 

-To have my own mobile market, to start community gardens, and to educate people of color about the importance of sustainable living and agriculture.

-To have a wellness center or offer services focused on alternative therapy, expressive therapy, yoga, bodywork/energy medicine & mental health. 

Physically, wherever these things take me. Hopefully in close proximity to a beach!






How would you describe your fashion style?

Comfort is first and foremost, but I would have to say the Bohemian, Afro-centric hippie version of grunge ha! I love patterns, prints, flannels, sweatshirts, and headwraps. There's really no way to define it, I just wear what makes me feel good.



What are your two favorite quotes of the moment?


"You are your best thing." -Toni Morrison

"Time, she moves, a dancer to her own drum, elusive as the wind, unconcerned, uncommitted, unsympathetic, & unavoidable." -Asha Bandele



Tell us one thing people would be surprised to know about you. 

I love, love, love to cook for myself & my loved ones. It is so therapeutic and a way that I express my love.



For you, Art is...

The way we express our experience WITH the world, TO the world. The way we reveal our true selves to ourselves.




According to you, what is the purpose of life?

To love without restraint & without second thought. To heal ourselves of our traumas. To unlearn and rebuild. To vibrate higher. To adapt accordingly. To be still and listen. To be kind. To be open so that we can learn more & love more.





Connect with Nubia  here: @nubbb
Photos, courtesy of Nubia Mayanna Adams

__________

The Nice to Meet You Interview is Aile Rėve's signature. It is our way to soulfully connect with the artist and visionary. The NTMY allows us to take off for a voyage into the furthest reaches of their mind, with love, humility, and poetry.

Anaëlle Naná Moon Oyå
Mermaid-in-Chief @AileReve 

No comments:

Post a Comment