Thursday 11 June 2015

Nice to Meet You Afua Aidoo | #DareToDream Interview Series by Naná Moon Oyå

Afua Aidoo

My dream is constantly changing! At the moment I think after University I would love a career in fashion, and to inspire people to be comfortable in their own style, and to not be pressured by the dominant ideologies in today's society about what a person should look like! For me, it took a long time to be completely comfortable in the kind of clothes I wear because it didn't fit the girly stereotype. I'm still adjusting but being more confident in my own choices has made it easier to be me, and this is something I'd like to share with people. I'd also love to get my blog running again and get somewhere with that.
- Afua Aidoo, UK

I never realized how dreams do change constantly. We tend to think we are lost but no matter what people say, nobody has it all figured out, and that's the beauty of life. Dreams change as we grow, evolve, and create, and I think that's exactly how it's supposed to be. The power to vibe with unseen forces and bring them into manifestation is within us. Whatever you want, you can get. Afua's essence shows that it is possible to be out of sync with the rest of the world, but in a positive way. It is a beautiful feeling to fearlessly offer yourself to the unknown and pay more attention to your inner world of D.R.E.A.M.S. It is truly nice to meet Afua Aidoo, a young woman of substance who sees possibilities everywhere. 


The Interview 

Two things that make you smile. 
So many things make me smile so this is hard. I think my friends are the top people who make me smile at the moment, especially as we're going through our exam season. I think it's so important to have fun at a stressful time, otherwise everything would just pile up and everything will get you down. The other thing that makes me smile is food (I am sorry, I am so sad), there's nothing like a creamy bar of chocolate or a bacon sandwich to boost my mood. 

What is your favourite spot in County of Essex / London?
Living so close to London there are so many places I love and many more I wish to explore. At the moment I love going to Liverpool Street, particularly on a Sunday as there's always a market and it's so easy to find a good bargain on clothes. The plan this summer is to go to a London theatre and the National Art Gallery (which I always walk past but never go in).

Your three dream destinations.
I have a serious desire to travel at some point in my life as I think it is very important to discover new things and to get a sense of different cultures and ways people live. China is a place I'd love to visit (mainly for the food), especially the Summer Palace in Beijing. I also would love to do a road trip across America, particularly to visit New York and, of course, Walt Disney World. My top place I have to visit is Ghana. I've never had the chance to go there, and seeing as that's were I am from, I think it is important for me to go.

What music have you been listening on repeat lately?
My absolute favourite band at the moment is Twenty One Pilots, a duo (Josh Dun and Tyler Joseph) from Ohio. Their recent album (Blurryface) is all I've been listening to since its release a couple of weeks ago. All the songs are so different but all have a strong meaning behind it which I love. It also helps that they're all so catchy. I also like 'Somebody' by Natalie La Rose ft. Jeremih because it's such a tune.





How would you describe your fashion style?
I honestly don't even know my own style sometimes. I say I don't like something, but when I see it I love it and vice versa. My style has often been called 'quirky' which I guess could be seen as a positive or a negative, but I always take the positive. I love bright colours, but I don't get many opportunities to experiment so that is my plan over the summer. I think my favourite eras of fashion are the 20s and 80s. The 20s was when fashion was starting to break to conventions of society, and brought in a more relaxed style of clothing for women. As for the 80s, fashion and styles were so colourful and bold and I love it. I aim to incorporate these eras of fashion into my own style.

Two things you could never leave home without. 
I never tend to leave my house without my phone and headphones. I always have to listen to some sort of music on the way to where ever I'm going.

What are your two favourite quotes of the moment?
One of the quotes I love is by the late Yosef A.A. Ben Jochannan- “Dipped in chocolate, bronzed in elegance, enameled with grace, toasted with beauty. My lord, she's a black woman” because it's such an empowering message for black women.

My other quote is a little less joyful and is from a song by Twenty One Pilots (Car radio)- "sometimes quiet is violent". In my mind, this just reminds me not to keep emotions bottled up and to myself, otherwise it becomes hard to handle and that's when things start to go wrong.

Tell me one thing people would be surprised to know about you.
I don't think I have any qualities people will be surprised at...I can sing in tune.

For you Art is...
Art is an expression of ones self. Art helps people to express and let go of emotions and I believe can be a good medicine for some. It can come in the form of literally anything, be it fashion, painting, dancing, sculpting etc. as long as it brings joy to you and allows you to be you, it's art.

According to you, what is the purpose of life?
I think life is for discovering yourself, finding out what you can do and what makes you happy and experiencing as much of the world as possible.

Bonus
"Hopefully I will be able to study fashion marketing at university come September (wish me luck)."- Afua


Afua Aidoo

___________

DEFEND. You don't have to defend or explain your decisions to anyone but you must defend your beliefs. You must stand up for yourself even if nobody is on your side. REVOLUTIONIZE your world. Question things. Question everything. Break free from old restraints. ELEVATE. As in lifting others. ATTRACT what you expect. Reflect what you desire. MANIFEST your dreams into reality. The time is right to raise your glass to dreamers who never give up and manifest their dreams into reality.

Naná Moon Oyå

No comments:

Post a Comment