Friday 26 February 2016

Nice to Meet You Jelani Cleghorne • Dare to DREAM Series




I understand within myself that my duty in life is to build a platform that allows others to reach their dreams. To have a leap of faith and make it happen regardless of the situations around them. I take pride every day to put myself in a creative state so that my dream of helping others never fades. I believe that life is more than just a 9 to 5 and I’m focused on establishing a foundation that allows me to reach out to people on how they can take risks to achieve their goals.

- Jelani Cleghorne, Los Angeles
Photo, courtesy of Jelani Cleghorne

T H E   I N T E R V I E W • 
________________________
________________________

If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why?
That’s such a great question because I’ve never been asked that in regards of my life. If there was a movie produced about my life, I would have to say Omar Epps to play the role of me. Reason why? Since I was a kid, my family have always said that I’ve looked like the actor and people around me started to catch on and call me his character names from movies. I feel like he’ll get the job done because he’s a good actor and we look alike so people would think I’m actually playing in my own movie ha-ha.


What do you love about yourself?
To be honest, I love everything about myself. The good, the bad & the ugly. I wouldn’t want to be anyone else but myself. I say that because I’ve learned to love my strengths and weaknesses. My best and worst attributes. My values and my religion. In order to be at peace within yourself, you have to take the time and look yourself in the mirror. Once you find that happiness and love, everything else doesn’t matter because you can live your life the way you want to live it.



Name two people who influenced your journey thus far 
My parents & my best friend Otis. My parents have been with me through the whole crazy process of becoming a man. They’ve supported my dreams and picked me up when I was in the dumps. I wouldn’t be the man I am today if it wasn’t for them. My best friend Otis that passed away in 2011 taught me every day values that I wear with me everywhere I go. His ambition, drive & passion towards his dreams led me to the creative, artistic and most importantly dedicated man today. I will forever thank him for his contributions and will continue to live my life to honor him.



What have you been reading lately?
I haven’t been reading any new books lately, just a lot of lifestyle, entrepreneurship & marketing articles.



What are the three destinations of your dreams?
• Paris, France
• UK 
Tokyo, Japan


Photo, Courtesy of Jelani Cleghorne @jetsavvy

How would you describe your fashion style?
My fashion style is adaptive. Different sceneries require different looks. From dapper to euro urban, my style represents how I feel at that time.    


Tell us two things that make you smile.
I love to smile. Smiling is such an infectious action that it’s needed more in our communities. One of things that make me smile is when people genuinely love the visuals I create and go out their way to let me know. The other would have to be my family. I love when I see my family happy. My parents told me repeatedly to never allow others to get you down. If you see someone not having a good day, take the time to let them know that everything will be ok, tomorrow is another day.



What are your two favorite quotes of the moment?
·  “You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them”

·   “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better”


Tell us one pleasant thing people would be surprised to know about you. 
I’m a huge fan of original score music. I listen to that sound everyday. It’s epic!!!


For you, Art is...
Art is your reflection. Your perception of fantasy. Your ideas created into expression. It doesn’t have to make sense because it’s what you love to put together. Art is rare. 


According to you, what is the purpose of life?
The purpose of life to me is simple. Live the life you want to live. Take that leap and do what you want to do even if no one agrees. There’s so much to explore in this world and it’s wrong for us to not put ourselves in a situation to see what the world has to offer. Live. Love. Explore.

Photo, Courtesy of Jelani Cleghorne
Connect with Jelani here: @jetsavvy
__________

The Nice to Meet You Interview is Aile Rėve's signature. It is our way to soulfully connect with the artist and visionary. The NTMY allows us to take off for a voyage into the furthest reaches of their mind, with love, humility, and poetry.

Anaëlle Naná Moon Oyå
Mermaid-in-Chief @AileReve 

No comments:

Post a Comment