Wednesday 10 February 2016

Nice to Meet You Corey Nicole • Dare to DREAM Series: Celebrate Yourself


My dream in life is to live without worry of money or other ephemeral things that we tend to get so bogged down with. My dream is to not let materialistic motivations or aspirations consume me or the folk I love. One of my dream goal is to successfully start a holistic skin and hair care system with my mother (which we are working on as I type!)

- Corey Nicole, North Carolina 

T H E   I N T E R V I E W • 
________________________
________________________

What do you love about yourself?
If I was asked this question 2 years ago or even last year, I don't think I would have had a definitive answer. I have fallen in love with my ability to be transparent no matter the context, no matter the audience, no matter the situation. What you see from me is what you get. I am physically incapable of hiding behind a facade to appease others or to make others comfortable. In my adolescence this trait became a source of derision in certain relationships. But I came to realize the individuals that were uncomfortable with my transparency were uncomfortable with who they truly are and consistently had to switch filters to be liked or appreciated by whomever was in their presence. I am me, Corey Nicole, in the light and in the dark. I am Corey Nicole at work, at home, and at play. What I love about myself is my inability to hide the beauty of who I truly am, even if others deem it as unattractive!

What have you been reading lately?
I read at least 2-3 books a month. I just finished Helen Oyeyemi's "Boy, Snow, Bird", and I am finishing re-reading James Baldwin's "Giovanni's Room".


What are the three destinations of your dreams?
• Brazil
• Sidney, Australia
• Tokyo, Japan


How would you describe your fashion style?
My style is my own. I don't follow trends. I like to nickname my style as "tomboy-boho-chic-street" -- a mixture of Bohemian layered vibes, with chic tailored accent pieces, and street wear thrown into the mix.    


Tell us two things that make you smile.
• My brothers. I have 5 brothers and all 5 make me smile in a different way.
• Children — Corey loves the kids!



What are your two favorite quotes of the moment?

• Everything permissible is not beneficial. - 1 Cor 6:12
• Ain't nothin' to it but to do it. - Martin Payne, "Martin" sitcom


Tell us one pleasant thing people would be surprised to know about you. 
Although I am a passionate tomboy in style, I am VERY feminine. Nails, hair... everything.



For you, Art is...
...an expression. For me art is not always necessarily translatable. Sometimes, art connects with everyone or a selective audience. Art is love and Art is life.


According to you, what is the purpose of life?
The purpose of life is to love one another, even the ones that do not love you first. 


Photos, courtesy of Corey Nicole

__________

The Nice to Meet You Interview is Aile Rėve's signature. It is our way to soulfully connect with the artist and visionary. The NTMY allows us to take off for a voyage into the furthest reaches of their mind, with love, humility, and poetry.

Anaëlle Naná Moon Oyå
Mermaid-in-Chief @AileReve 

No comments:

Post a Comment