Sunday 1 November 2015

Nice to Meet You Isabelle Young, Dare to D.R.E.A.M. Interview Series + "Sirens" Music Video Release

Photo by Dariane Sanchez  • • • Graphic Design by Catherine Vallieres
My dream is to have a cottage somewhere by the ocean, where I can write music and take surf breaks.
- Isabelle Young, Montreal



Montreal-based songstress Isabelle Young has recently released her official "Sirens" video. It was only as the Mermaid jumped into the lake for the video finale that I realized I had been holding my breath. Directed by William Mazzoleni, "Sirens" is nothing but a masterpiece. Dipping my senses into a mystical lakefront area, surrounded by the Mermaid's melodious and angelic voice is quite the magical moment.  Underneath her calm and comforting demeanor, Isabelle Young is a game-changing restless spirit whose Art is ripe for discovery. 

Thank you for this voyage into the furthest reaches of your beautiful and interesting mind. It's nice to meet you Mermaid sister!


The Interview

Who are some of your poetic influences?  
I have always really loved Anne Hébert.  She is a Canadian author and poet whose words really resonate in me.  There is a deep solitude in her poems, and her writing is sharp, not at all ornamented or flamboyant.  My favourite collection is "Le Tombeau Des Rois" (not surprising that it is a big influence of mine, with all that water imagery).  I also love Jack Gilbert and Robert Frost.   

-What are the first 15 words that come to mind when you think about "Love"? Exposed - Skin - Deep - Mystery - Soul - Chemical - Faithful - Naked - Grow - Music - Inspiration - Longing - Natural - Healing - Addiction

How would you describe your fashion style?
Onstage, a mix of 70s glam and what I consider the good parts of 90s fashion...   Very feminine, high waisted everything, winged liner, lots of black, lots of rings, big hair. Jerry Hall, Sade and Brigitte Bardot are big inspirations of mine when it comes to style.   



Tell us two things that make you smile.
My dog Leo and synchronicity. 

Without much hesitation, what are you three dream destinations?  
Greece, New Zealand and the Moon.

What are you thankful for?  
There are so many things to be thankful for. I am thankful for having such a loving and supportive family, for my health, for creativity and inspiration...   

One pleasant thing we would be surprised to know about you? 
When I was a young teen, I went to a science camp in La Malbaie every summer.  I've always been interested in nature and its workings.  This camp taught me mainly about marine biology, geology and astronomy, but is also where I had my first real kiss. 


Dariane Sanchez Photography
Talk to us about "Sirens", your beautiful and refreshing EP project.  
Thank you!  Sirens came from a cold winter.  I was a little adrift and needed a way to express myself... The songs on the EP are actually some of the first songs I have ever written.  Alone in my apartment, I wrote about the downfall of past relationships and the nostalgia that comes with it.  When I listen to it now, I realize that it is quite sullen...  I think it is okay to embrace melancholia, as long as you channel it the right way, and that's what I did.  I am a very sensitive and emotional person, and that winter I had finally found a way to channel it and lift a little of that weight off my shoulders.  Working on the Sirens EP, I met some really inspiring and talented people.  I had lots of fun in studio with my musicians and with producer Connor Seidel.  I also filmed my first music video for the EP's title track with William Mazzoleni this summer, which was one of the most inspiring experiences of my career so far.  We brought the team to a cottage on Bark Lake, one of my favourite places on Earth.   I basically got to swim all day and sail with a drone flying around the boat! 


Robin Cerutti Photography 

For you, Art is...  
Art is curiosity.  It is what happens when you use pieces of all your influences to create something of your own.  It is also a little magic and mysterious...  There are moments when you don't understand exactly where it came from.  That is art in its' purest form. 

According to you, what is the purpose of life? 
To stay curious, always.

Treat yourself and watch Isabelle Young's"Sirens" video below. 



Connect with Isabelle Young via SoundcloudInstagram, and Facebook
Stay tuned to Aile Rėve for what our Mermaid Sister does next. 
___________

DARE TO D.R.E.A.M. SERIES 
The Nice to Meet You Interview is Aile Rėve's signature. It is a way to soulfully connect with the artist and visionary. The N.T.M.Y allows us to take off for a voyage into the furthest reaches of their mind, with love, confidence, humility, and poetry. 

Anaëlle Naná Moon
@ailereve 

2 comments:

  1. Tu es tellement rayonnante Isabelle jaimerais cas chanter a tes coter!fleur le vent 🌹💋🌌💖🎸🎵🎤🎨

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tu es tellement rayonnante Isabelle jaimerais cas chanter a tes coter!fleur le vent 🌹💋🌌💖🎸🎵🎤🎨

    ReplyDelete