Saturday 8 August 2015

Nice to Meet You Marika Marie-Christine Jeanty | Herbs Moon Celebration Interview Series by Naná Moon Oyå

"I hate to be in the spotlight and I don't like to create waves... A wise friend once told me that you can't call yourself an artist and not want to make waves! He then added stop wanting to please everyone just be yourself. I am working on myself to stop the auto censure process."
- Marika Marie Christine Jeanty

What city do you represent? 
Definitely the one I was born and where I have lived so far for about 32 years Montreal. Im a proud Montrealer of Haitian Descent.
What is your dream in life? 
I am a dreamer you know...that the Fine Arts Museum in Montreal presents a Haitian Art exhibit. To open a place to create links between generations, between individuals of various backgrounds through art and culture...I could go on.
What are you thankful for? 
To be alive. To have core family members in good health. That my son is growing up so well.
Tell us two things that make you smile. 
Only two? I love to smile. Smiling is major cure and it helps bring sunshine to others and in reverse the fact that you illuminated someone else's day will cheer you up. On top of the list my son, my nieces, and my nephews. Also to hear good news concerning someone I care about.

How would you describe your fashion style? 
Classy, comfy, colorful.

What are the three destinations of your dream? 

Well there are many (laughs) but cities in my ancestors countries that I have yet to visit:  I have been to Haiti but not everywhere, I have been to only 2 cities in France and I have yet to go to Spain; There's also Portugal, Indonesia, Australia, Argentina, Brazil...

What music have you been listening on repeat lately? 

Oh wow hard to pick but mostly Jean-Claude Martineau's retrospective album with Ti-Corn and Beethova Obas called Zanmi Nou; Jowee Omicil's 2 recent albums Roots and Groove and Naked; Cecile Mcloran Salvant' Woman Child; Rossa Passos, Luz Casal, Ariane Moffat 22:22... I am a music junkie!




For our Herbs Moon Celebration, we'd like to know what herbs do you regularly use in your cooking? 
Basil, thyme, chives, parsley.

Two things you could never leave home without
Actually there's 3 (laughs): my pen, my notebook and my music.
What are your favourite quotes of the moment? 

  • "Most importantly I stay away from negative energy and surround myself with positivity. Creators have to create in a proper environment." -Steve Pageot
  • "Surround yourself with people that illuminate your path" -Kristen Butler
  • "Open your arms to change but don't let go of your values"  -Dalaï Lama
and well my motto is Live, Love, Laugh and Learn.

Can you recall one of the realest thing you’ve heard your child say? 
That child never ceases to amaze me. I would say (I do not remember the exact wording) when he told that he had a friend that was going through something and he felt that as a friend he needed to provide moral support.


According to you, what is the purpose of life? I think we each have a mission on Earth. I believe mine is to help others and to create links between people. I think the purpose of life is to do our part to create a better world. 
Connect with Marika 
___________

DARE TO D.R.E.A.M. SERIES 
The Nice to Meet You Interview is Aile Rėve's signature. It is a way to soulfully connect with the artist and visionary. The N.T.M.Y allows us to take off for a voyage into the furthest reaches of their mind, with love, confidence, humility, and poetry. 


Naná Moon Oyá
@ailereve 

No comments:

Post a Comment